Calling all aspiring FARMHANDS
MAY 19TH, 2022
FARMHAND JOB DESCRIPTION
Have an interest in regenerative agriculture, animal husbandry, and farm to table foods? Join us at Fresh Valley Farms to get hands-on experience in a variety of roles on the farm, in the butcher shop, and direct marketing meats.
Fresh Valley Farms is a fourth generation regenerative organic farm in Armstrong, BC stewarding over 300 acres of pasture and forest while rotationally grazing cattle, pigs, chickens, and turkeys. We are BC Certified Organic through the North Okanagan Organic Association, and we direct market all of our meats through our online store, and through our monthly curated meat box program. The farmers who manage the farm are actively involved in impacting policy in order to create a more resilient food system throughout our region and province.
This position is available immediately and includes a competitive wage (negotiable based on past experience and demonstrated skills). Training available for motivated applicants, but a clean driving record is a must, along with physical fitness (must be able to lift 60lbs), and a self-motivated work ethic.
- feeding and moving cattle, pigs, and poultry
- Frequent moves of electric fencing
- Monitoring for health and wellbeing
- Catching, sorting, and loading livestock for slaughter
- packing orders, organizing, and managing freezer inventory, communicating with customers
- updating website, taking photos and videos for social media
- building and maintaining farm structures (ie livestock shelters) and fencing
- assist in slaughter, butchery, and packaging of meat
Fresh Valley Farms is located minutes from Armstrong in the North Okanagan. Armstrong is a five minute drive from the farm, Vernon is approximately 20 minutes by vehicle, and Salmon Arm is 30 minutes away. While there is no accommodation available on the farm we are open to helping to find a housing solution for the right candidate.
Why Should You Apply?
- Living wage (& non-wage benefits, including farm products and substantial discounts)
- Invaluable work experience for aspiring farmers/butchers/food system enthusiasts
- Fun and challenging work environment
- Potential for year-round employment
- Systems design experience from meatshop workflow, to livestock management, to sales and communications
- Help develop and evolve the local food network!
- Opportunities for further professional development available (ie meat cutting certificate, first aid, food safe etc)
Fill out our online application form here! You can also send your cover letter and/or resumé to email@example.com or give us a call: 250-540-7500
You can read this lengthier farm job description at the Young Agrarian's site (and they're awesome, you might as well check them out while you're there).